First assignment of group n° 131
Resources used by the team
Book : Rifkin, J. (2015), The Zero Marginal Cost Society: The Internet of Things, the Collaborative Commons, and the Eclipse of Capitalism, St. Martin's Griffin
First description of our project
PLUG & SAVE
Tomorrow’s new revolutionary energy saver '
1. What Problem do you want to solve ?
« Waste seems very important in France on the energy market. Electricity bills, TV sleeping modes, electric apparels, etc : today, there exists too many apparels that consume a too large amount of electricity ». GreenPeace Report (2009).
To start, here’s a little story for you to understand how we identified this problem. As a new student in Lille, I had to contact EDF for my electricity consumption in my new apartment. During the phone conversation with the customer service, they told me : « a power cord left on a power outlet without any device plugged in to charge is equivalent to 5€ thrown out of your pocket each month ». Let’s just imagine the waste on the national scale and in developped countries. This is an undeniable energy problem for the planet.
This personnal experience made us identify a real problem : the waste of electricity in the everyday life of million of citizens in the world through the non-use of electric apparels, and it’s impact on planet earth.
2. Why does this problem exist?
This problem in the everyday life of million of citizen is due to two main reasons.
The first reason is the consumers behavior. Indeed, the consumer might not be informed on the fact that a power cord plugged in a power outlet still consumes energy even if the apparel is not charging. He can also leave a power cord plugged in, if he did not pay attention, or just because he doesn’t have the time to always plug or unplug it to save energy.
At this point in time, there is no accessory of a king on the market, available for the consumer.
As an additional note, we notice a serious demand to save energy and be more environment-friendly from citizens all around the world. As a proof we can use the increase in purchases of energy saving lightbulbs (LED, Fluocompact, etc…)
Thus, energy waste from citizens that do not use plugged power cords appeared to be a problem to take seriously.
3. What breakthrough are you commited to creating?
We are willing to create an accessory, which is easy to clip to any power outlet in France, this accessory would be the answer to two problems :
- Our product allows energy savings, it eliminated electricity waste on a daily basis through a technological accessory which detects if a power cord is plugged to an apparel or not. If not, it cuts the power supply from the powr outlet, allowing thus, the consumer to save energy.
- Our product allows the consumer to decrease its spendings in energy.
Our objective is to create a low cost accessory, so that it can be used by any citizen.
Moreover, in order to keep this accessory as environmental friendly as possible, we engage ourselves in using environmental friendly materiels and components for its creation.
- Vermont Energy Investment Corporation: Energy Consultant (USA): Monitor and analyze energy consumption: Prepare project savings reports and analyses, billing analyses, cost effectiveness analyses, review product technical specifications, and other program or technical documentation. • Conduct energy audits to evaluate energy use, costs, or conservation measures.
- Onea Consulting: Consultants in Innovative technologies (France)https://www.enea-consulting.com/
Webography: Rapport Greenpeace (2009) : Electricité : le gaspillage menace le climat http://www.greenpeace.org/france/pagefiles/266537/electricite-le-gaspillage-me.pdf Homepage of the course